Whether it is the weekend or a school holiday season, it is a perfect time to head on for a vacation and indulge in remarkable family activities in KL. Ranging from family-friendly workshops to theme parks and zoos, caves there are innumerable activities in the city to explore. Strengthen and cherish your bond with your loved ones with some of the most fascinating things to do in Kuala Lumpur with family like exploring the Sunway Lagoon, going to Kidzania, discovering the rides at Berjaya Times Square Theme Park, or Legoland.
If you are an animal lover, you can head to the Zoo Negara to encounter 400 species of animals, like orangutans, penguins, and giraffes, and pay a visit to the KL Bird Park to see the vibrant exotic species of birds. You can also go to the Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary, which is an initiative to save wild animals from falling prey to human civilization. Visiting KL Towers is another activity that is worth considering to enjoy the spectacular panoramic views of the city with your family.
Having fun at Sunway Lagoon is one of the best family activities in KL that allows you to have a splashing time in the waterpark. Here you can engage yourself in innumerable adventurous and extreme rides, like African Pythons, Cameron Climbs, Surf Simulator, and much more. You can also witness around 150 species of animals and birds in the wildlife zone of the theme park.
Location: 3, Jalan PJS 11/11, Bandar Sunway, 47500 Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.Timings: 10 am to 11 pm (Wednesday to Monday)
Taking your kids to Kidzania is another fun thing that you must indulge in with your family in Kuala Lumpur. It is a wonderful amusement park, where your little tots can get a chance to choose from different careers and stimulate what it is to be like a doctor, fireman, journalist, and more.
Location: Curve Nx, 18, Jalan PJU 7/5, Mutiara Damansara, 47810 Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia.Timings: 10 am to 6 pm (Wednesday to Monday)
If you want to feel your adrenaline rush with family, you should take them to the Skytrex Adventure to enjoy the gorgeous panoramic forests of bureau bay and 35 extreme parks. In this theme park, you can test your balancing and stability skills, with plenty of exciting activities, like ziplining and diving.
Location: Batu 20, 1/2, Jalan Sungai Congkak, Kampung Padang, 43100 Hulu Langat, Selangor, Malaysia.Timings: 9 am to 6 pm
Enjoying at Berjaya Times Square Theme Park in the city center of Kuala Lumpur is one of the best things to do in KL with family. From shopping to exploring the world of thrilling rides, virtual entertainment, and vibrant installations, the theme park offers everything to make your family trip enjoyable and memorable.
Location: Berjaya Times Square, 5th and 7th Floor, 1, Jln Imbi, Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Timings: 12 pm to 8 pm
Exploring KL Towers is a magnificent activity to do with your family where you can witness some of the breathtaking beautiful panoramic views of the city in a 276 meters high observation deck. Also, you can dine in the famous revolving restaurant named Atmosphere 360 or pay a visit to the KL Tower Mini Zoo to admire and interact with the adorable animals, like meerkats, rabbits, sugar gliders, and much more.
Location: 2 Jalan Punchak, Off, Jalan P. Ramlee, 50250 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Timings: 10 am to 7 pm (Sunday to Friday), 3 pm to 10 pm (Saturday)
An action-packed day in the Lost World of Tambun is what you need to enjoy the fascinating water rides with your family. In this light amusement park, you can immerse your soul in one of the 13 hot springs while enjoying the luscious surroundings of the verdant forests.
Location: Sunway Lost World Of Tambun, No. 1, Persiaran Lagun Sunway 1, Sunway City Ipoh, 31150 Ipoh, Perak, Malaysia.Timings: 11 am to 11 pm (Monday to Friday), 10 am to 11 pm (Saturday and Sunday)
Among the other things to do in Kuala Lumpur with family, visiting KL Bird Park is the most fascinating one as it features 200 exotic species of birds, including eagles, ostriches, and hornbills. Through this activity, you can spend some time with these adorable creatures and enjoy the bird shows held at regular intervals.
Location: 920, Jalan Cendrawasih, Tasik Perdana, 50480 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Timings: 9 am to 6 pm
Aquaria KLCC is a fun and exciting place to be with your family, where you can immerse yourself in a vast assortment of unique exhibits, like the Jewels of the Jungle, Evolution Zone, Touch Pool, and much more. The kids will love to explore this 90 meters transparent underwater tunnel and catch a glimpse of sharks, fishes, and stingrays.
Location: Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre, Jalan Pinang, Kuala Lumpur City Centre, 50088 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.Timings: 10 am to 7 pm
If your kids adore animals and birds, it is time to take them for a perfect family outing to the Zoo Negara, which is home to more than 400 animal species. You can witness orangutans, giant pandas, giraffes, elephants, penguins, and much more on your visit to the attraction. You will also get to explore the Children’s World Section to play around with the gentle animals, like rabbits, deer, goats, tortoises, and miniature horses.
Location: Jalan Taman Zooview, Taman Zooview, 68000 Ampang, Selangor, Malaysia.Timings: 9 am to 5 pm
Visiting Legoland is another one of the family activities in KL that lets you have an amazing weekend with your family while enjoying the 40 exciting rides, speedsters, and roller coasters. You can explore the mini world that features world wonders and tourist destinations made up of Lego bricks and enjoy the merry-go-rounds in Legoland in Kuala Lumpur.
Location: Iskandar Puteri, Johor, Malaysia.Timings: 10 am to 6 pm
To introduce the deep-rooted culture of Hinduism to your children, you should pay a visit to the Batu Caves with your family. It is a beautiful temple in Kuala Lumpur that houses a giant shrine of the Hindu god called Lord Murugan, which is popular among many devotees. You can visit the caves which have 300 steps, and enjoy the little adventure while enjoying the beautiful vistas.
Location: Gombak, 68100 Batu Caves, Selangor, Malaysia.
Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary is one of the worthy family activities in KL as it gives you a chance to see some of the beautiful elephants in the city. It is one of the most sought-after tourist attractions in Kuala Lumpur since all these wild elephants are rescued from falling prey to the growing human civilization. You can see them taking baths on the river, feeding them their supplements, and even getting a ride on them.
Location: 28500 Lanchang, Pahang, Malaysia.Timings: 10.30 am to 3.30 pm
What are the best theme parks in Kuala Lumpur?
- Sunway Lagoon Theme Park- Sunway Lagoon Theme Park is one of the best theme parks in Kuala Lumpur for enjoying recreational activities with your family. In this park, you can spend an adventure-filled day with rides, like African Python, FlowRider, Cameron Climb, and Congo Challenge.
- Berjaya Times Square Theme Park- The Berjaya Times Square Theme Park is an indoor park for families in a colorful garden avenue. The Fantasy Gardens and the Galaxy Station are the best-themed areas that offer remarkable rides for fun and adventure.
- Bangi Wonderland- Bangi Wonderland is a fun place to spend time with your family while enjoying the exhilarating rides and slides. Some of the best rides that you should go on in Bangi Wonderland are Wonder Loop, Anaconda Trail, the Magic Funnel, and the Surf Rider.
Which are the best things to do in Kuala Lumpur with your family?
- Visit Petrosains: Visiting Petrosains is one of the best activities to indulge in with your family as it presents science and technology in a fun and entertaining way. The children will love to navigate through the museum and admire the collection of space-age exhibits and fossils.
- Enjoy the iCity Theme Park: Popularly known as the City of Digital Lights, iCity Theme Park is another to enjoy your heart out with your family. In this theme park, you can relish a multitude of exciting activities, like a carnivalesque game booth, Ferris wheel, and 3D museum.
- Relish the obstacle courses in District 21: Another one of the best things to do in KL with family is enjoy the challenging obstacle courses in District 21. With high-speed slides, aerial obstacle courses, LED-lit climbing walls, and trampolines, District 21 features 11 attractions suitable for people of all ages.
What is the best time to visit Kuala Lumpur?
The best time to visit Kuala Lumpur is between December and February and then from June to August. During this time, the city experienced a moderately humid climate with little to no rainfall that allows you to indulge in plenty of things to do in Kuala Lumpur with family. It is a perfect time to explore the sightseeing attractions of the city and relish the festivities of Christmas and New Year.
How to reach Kuala Lumpur?
- By Flight: To reach Kuala Lumpur, you can take a direct flight to Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang or a flight to Singapore and a 355-kilometer drive to the city. Some 40 international airlines are connected to the country, making it accessible from all the major airports in the world with Malaysian Airlines being the national carrier.
- By Train: Take the KTM Komuter trains through Tanjung Malim Sungai Gadut and Batu Caves Pelabuhan Klang lines to commute to and from KL Sentral every 15 to 20 minutes.
- By Car / Taxi: Hiring taxis or cabs is a favorable option if you are traveling from the nearby cities of Malaysia. You can hire a taxi from KLIA operated by Airport Limo to Kuala Lumpur.